Top 10 Best Folding Bike Reviews 2021:
The folding bike must be one of the best developments ever made. The bicycle has a low frame, small wheels, and bizarre handlebars. When the cycle became available on the market years ago, no one thought it was a cool ride. However, things change, and today many commuters cannot live without one.
Having the best folding bicycle allows you to dart in and out of traffic, and you can dodge pedestrians at the same time. The fold-up bikes are suitable for urban use. You can fold them up and unfold them for part cycling your commute on buses and trains.
Furthermore, the compact structure allows you to keep them stored in small spaces and great for apartment owners. So you may think the bicycles more expensive and bulkier compared to the full-sized bikes – you are wrong.
Today you can surely find a reliable one with loads of improvements in the design and material. So how do you choose a lightweight folding bike? Sit back relax and find out here with us.
Best Folding Bikes Reviews:
Dahon is a well-known manufacturer of folding bikes, and it has a lightweight design you will love. So you can enjoy a smooth ride and take the bike with you on public transport. The bicycle folds up compact to store beneath your desk as well as ready. That too when you are to go home. The cycle measures 25.6 x 31.1 x 12.6-inches so keeping it stored in tight spaces will not be a problem.
Your clothing will not get dirty on the road as the Mariner D8 has a front and rear fender. The 20-inch wheels roll smoothly, and it is easy to keep on the road. For instant breaking, you have top-notch breaks. Thus the collapsible bikes are versatile to use for short and tall riders. You will surely be speeding around town with the 8-speeds and be able to tackle hills.
- The bike is lightweight and weighs 26 lbs
- The rim size is 20-inches, and the bike folds up to 25.6 x 31.1 x 12.6-inches
- The recommended rider height is 4.9 foot to 6.3-foot and holds a weight up to 230 lbs
- The D8 has a rear 8-speed Shimano RD-M310 derailleur with an 8-speed SL-M310 Trigger Shifter
- The forks constructed of Hi-Ten Steel Blades and a Steerer
- The handle post adjustable and constructed of alloy with a radius telescope design
- The frames lightweight and consist of a Dalloy Sonus Tubes with Lattice Forged Hinge and a V-Clamp
- For stopping you have aluminum Winzip brakes and a single wall aluminum rim with a 20 hole front and 28 holes rear hub
- Made with high-quality parts and you can buy it at a decent price
- The size of the cycles lightweight and compact to carry anywhere
- You get a comfortable ride and it folds up easily
- The folding bikes suitable for short to tall riders
- Minor complaints about small faults noticed when receiving the bike
- The frame, handlebar posts, and seat scratch easily
For affordable women’s or men’s folding bike, you can look at Retrospec. The bicycle appears fantastic with its hip design and perfect for riding in urban areas. So the only downside is you will need to put some effort into your riding with the single-speed design.
Furthermore, the one-speed offers you an excellent gear system with low maintenance. For stopping at fast speeds, it has a rear coaster brake as well as helps for pedaling backward. For cycling from home to work and back, the Retrospec will help you beat the traffic.
- Carrying the bike is lightweight and weighs 23.5 lbs
- The folding size is 10 x 30 x 22-inches so keeping it under your desk is unbelievable – and prevents it from getting stolen
- The frame and forks constructed of aluminum and lighter than ones made of chrome or steel
- The 20-inch wheels fold away compact and do not add extra weight to the bike
- Retrospec has equipped the folding bike with Kwenda Kwest Tires, and the Pedals also fold away
- For a perfect stop, it has a 16T Coaster Brake Cog
- The beautiful thing about this compact folding bike is the fold away pedals
- The folding mechanisms reliable
- Comfortable to carry long distances
- Adjustable handlebar
- Offers excellent water dispersion with the commuter tires
- Can only travel on flat roads
- Has no fender
Whether you are a male or female cyclist, the Dahon Vybe D7 has your name written on it. So the Vybe D7 has seven speeds to make your ride smoother when in need of climbing steep inclines. The frame’s lightweight as well as made of aluminum and have a retro look.
So the gear shifting is flawless and it folds and unfolds quickly. What makes the bike even more attractive is the 5-year warranty included.
- The fold-up bike is lightweight and weighs 26.2 lbs
- It folds up to a compact size measuring 26.4 x 13.4 x 32.7-inches
- The bike has seven speeds with an SRAM gear shifter for rapid shifting
- The wheel size is 20-inches, and it has a Vybe Dalloy frame with WinZip V-brakes
- The bicycles hold a weight up to 230 lbs, and it has a Hi-Ten steel fork
- Dahon has equipped the folding bike with Rotolo tires and has a rear rack with fenders
- The color patterns attractive
- The bike runs smoothly with the seven speeds
- Folds up easily
- The aluminum frames rust-resistant
- Has a hard seat
- Adjusting the height of the handlebars difficult
Now if you prefer buying a bicycle you can use to commute to work and use on mountain trails – you need the Cqcy FR100 folding mountain bike. So you will look on this ride with its rugged and fantastic build. The bicycle surely has a full suspension soft-tail system.
However, the construction of the collapsible cycle allows you to ride paths, street curbs, mountain trails, and more. The double-disc brakes also offer you outstanding stopping power.
- The bike has a Shimano 24TZ freewheel with 24-speeds made possible with the M310 ALTUS Gearing System
- For stopping instantly, it has a double mechanical disc brake
- The frames constructed of aluminum and the middle frame and front forks loaded with shock absorption
- For riding on flat to rough surfaces, it has Chaoyang MTB 26-inch wheels with an aluminum Pro MTB Pedal
- There are a front and rear derailleur with the shift lever and the handlebars constructed with aluminum
- You receive the folding bike 90% pre-assembled
- Folds up and unfolds easily
- The bike’s lightweight
- Has a durable design
- Can ride from flat surfaces to mountain trails
- None noted
For a budget-friendly folding bike, the Schwinn Loop 20 is surely the best folding bike at a price point of fewer than 200 dollars. While bicycles have a decent price, it also has some impressive components and features.
So you get 7-speeds to tackle hills with ease, and the design looks great. The downside with this bike is the weight of 33 lbs as well as it is a bit heavy to carry for long.
The Schwinn folding bike has a solid build and durable frame. So it should last a couple of years of use. So the Loop folds up so quickly into a compact shape for storage. If you are a commuter or student, you will also love the price and the bike.
- The collapsing bikes not as lightweight as the other models reviewed and weigh 33 pounds
- The bicycles equipped with 20-inch rims and City Tires
- The foldable size is 16 x 32.5 x 26-inches and recommended for users with a weight up to 230 lbs
- It has a 7-speed drivetrain with Shimano grip shifting and consists of alloy front and linear-pull rear brakes
- You can buy the Loop in Black, Titanium Silver, and White
- The bike also has a rear rack to keep your bags secure while riding
- Affordable compared to other fold-up bikes
- Offers you fantastic braking power and the seats comfortable
- Has a durable construction
- Heavy to carry around
The Phantom X2 from ProdecoTech is a hybrid folding electric bike. Therefore the features on the bicycle will impress you, and the design will leave you amazed. So, the design of the frames is also fantastic and has a quality paint finish. You can surely ride flat surfaces to mountain trails with the V5 Phantom X2. In the middle of the bike, you also get a hinge mechanism that helps with the folding.
The bicycles equipped with an 8-speed drivetrain so the gear ratios efficient to lose or gain speed. You can also use the folding bike with or without the motor, and it reaches up to 20 miles per hour with the 500-watt motor.
- The Phantom X2 is not light in weight and weighs 57 lbs – so carrying it around may not be the best thing for commuting
- The folded size is 48 x 36 x 28-inches, and it has an aluminum alloy frame with High-Step Folding Design
- The frame fork has a 120mm travel and lockout and also has attachment points for a bottle cage
- There is an 8-speed SRAM X7 gearing system with grip twist SRAM X7 shifters
- The headset integrated and the stems adjustable
- For stopping you get an Avid DB1 Hydraulic Disc Brake
- The bikes outfitted with wide 32-inch rims and Continental Traffic Tires
- It has a kickstand with a bash guard and charges with a 2 amp charger
- The battery packs removable
- The motor runs quietly
- Can get up to 38 miles on a single battery charge
- Great suspension and you can use it off-road
- Heavy to carry
- Does not have a waterproof design
Another affordable adult folding bike is the Stowabike City V2. The folding mechanism helps to make folding and unfolding a breeze. You can also cruise around town easily with the 6-speed gear and can tackle medium hills with ease. Surely, the bicycles not lightweight and weighs 34 lbs. But it is not too heavy for carrying short distances.
You will have no problem storing the bike as it folds into a compact size as well as suitable for taking with you on public transport. Another great thing about the Stowabike is however an ideal bike for kids to ride.
- Not lightweight but with the 34 lbs weight you can still carry it around
- The bike folds up to 34 x 9 x 23.3-inches and has a durable 20-inch steel frame
- The forks comprised of steel and carry a weight up to 280 lbs
- The seats adjustable and has a rear rack and built-in mudguard
- The City V2 has a 6-speed Microshift gear system
- There is a kickstand on the bicycle and has single wall 20-inch rims
- For stopping you have steel V-brakes and a Louise Handlebar
- Affordable and perfect for adults and kids to use
- Suitable for short to tall riders and has an adjustable seat
- Compact size that is great for storage
- Gorgeous design
- Heavy to carry but okay for hauling short distances
- The handlebars not adjustable only the seat
The Downtown lightweight folding bike from Allen Sports is a newcomer online. In the past, the company has developed and manufactured some high-end bikes with quality parts and features. The design of the frames smooth and folds up easily. Even unfolding the frameworks, a breeze as the locking mechanism automatically locks it in place.
For commuting long distances the bikes easy to carry with their compact structure. The cycles equipped with a single-speed and might not be suitable for climbing hills.
- The Downtown you can buy in Green or Cool Grey
- Suitable for urban environments with the aluminum frame
- Great to use on flat trails with the single-speed gearing
- Equipped with 20-inch wheels
- Has a quick release lever to fold or unfold the frame and locks into place automatically
- The bike weighs 26 lbs and not too bad for carrying
- The bicycle folds up to 33.5 x 28 x 13.5-inches
- The handlebars Hi-Ten Steel and has a SAMOX crankset with front & rear WinZip brakes
- The pedals non-folding and it holds a weight up to 242 lbs
- Folding the bike is a breeze with the folding mechanism
- Durable frame with safety lock
- You get a low maintenance bike with fantastic components
- Might only have a single speed, but is suitable for cruising around town
- The pedals do not fold away
Do you want the transport of the future? Look at the URB-E folding electric bicycle! You can surely reach up to 20 miles with a full charge of the battery and reaches up to 15 mph. For ease of commuting, the bike also folds up into a compact size and suitable to use on any terrain. The bicycles equipped too with a brushless geared 350-watt motor.
Your rides outfitted with carbon fiber handlebars as well as it has an aluminum frame with a coil-over shock suspension system. Also, you can buy the URB-E in stealth black and guard’s red. While riding to work you can charge your phone via the USB port. They also offer you various accessories to use with the bike.
- Has a top speed of 15 mph and can reach up to a 20-mile range on a single charge
- Constructed of aluminum and carbon fiber
- You can charge your smartphone while riding
- The folding bike weighs 35 lbs and is still not one of the lightest models but even lighter than the ProdecoTech
- Designed with larger wheels, motor and has a suspension
- Excellent customer service
- Hand built with quality
- Setup is easy
- Easy to drive and control
- Plenty of fun
- The design needs more work, as there are loads of details
For one of the best folding bicycles, you must surely look at the Strida collection offering you up to five different styles. Even your color choice is sorted as it comes in nine shades so as to fit in with your lifestyle.
The bike is belt-driven as well as has a distinctive A-shaped frame that collapses for storage and transport.
You also get the STRiDA LT, STRiDA 5.0, STRiDA SX, and STRiDA Evo model to choose from. The frame and forks comprised of aluminum thus it has 18-inch wheels with Kenda tires consisting of a reflective design. However, you get a kickstand with a rear carrier rack included.
- Lightweight to carry and only weighs 26 pounds with a break apart frame measuring 45.2 x 20 x 9-inches
- The frame and fork had an aluminum structure and outfitted with an 18-inch rim
- The bikes equipped with reflective Kenda tires
- You have a vast assortment of colors and styles to pick from
- Designed with a belt drive to use up to 50k miles with a single-speed transmission and depends on the model you buy
- The parts used on the bike is aluminum, and it has disc brakes
- You can use the rear rack for carrying small items, and it has a kickstand
- The weight limit is 220 lbs
- Lightweight to carry up the stairs
- Transforms quickly into a compact size
- Great to use for leisure as well as commuting around town
- Excellent design with durable frame and components
- No documents on how to install the seat
Which Folding Bike Should You Buy?
Maybe you have considered purchasing a road bike, but have also looked at the foldable bike. You also feel confused and not sure which one to pick. The truth is a road bicycle is surely made for riding fast on tarmac. A fold-up bike is a fantastic option if you commute to work by bus or train, but still want to keep your body in shape.
The bikes perfect to travel from a bus stop as well as a station to work. With the compact folding bike, you can keep it stored in small spaces too. Also, unfold it quickly to take a ride around town and the park. Here we have compiled a folding bike buyer’s guide to help you pick the best one suitable to your needs.
Start with your budget:
Depending on your funds, you can also buy a folding bike at every price point. So the costs can start from a hundred dollars to thousands. The essential thing to remember is the cheaper you buy, the heavier the framework will be.
However, this does not mean you have to dish out loads of money on a carbon-frame bike. Some affordable adult folding bikes are lightweight with fantastic features.
- The folding mechanism is one of the prominent keys when purchasing a folding bike. Do you travel by train or bus? Consider buying one with a user-friendly folding option. If possible, try to fold and unfold it before purchasing it.
- Lightweight folding bikes – When commuting by bus or train you do not want to carry around a bulky bicycle. Consider a lighter frame such as carbon or titanium. Another feature to look at quality components as it also helps reduce weight. Even opting for fewer gears as a single-speed version may be better for carrying around town.
- Wheel size – the norm on a folding bike is that has smaller wheels. However, there are collapsible bikes with full-sized rims. Using one with wheels that are more modest makes the bicycle lighter and more compact. The only negative is that you will not get much momentum cycling on the road. Selecting one with large wheels gives you a faster rolling once you speed up but will weigh more.
- Adjustability – the majority of compact folding bikes is one size that fits all and offers you adjustability for other members of the family to use. The modifiable feature can be a long seat post with a quick-release lever to make a swap between rides easier.
- Folding Electric Bike – recently manufacturers introduced the folding electric bicycle. The bike has become popular as it has a motor and you can buy them with less weight added to it as well. For making ascents more accessible, it may be the right option for you to buy.
Why Should You Buy This Folding Bike?
An excellent question to ask! If you need to commute around town or use public transport the folding bicycle offers, you ease of use. So you can switch between cycling and use public transportation quickly. Also, you can store the bike in small spaces, and some even have frame-locking features to keep the bike secure and tight for carrying.
However, one significant benefit is you do not need to leave your bicycle standing outdoors. For backpackers, it is also ideal to take with you on travels, and the majority of them offer you durability and little maintenance.
Finally, there more than hundreds of compact folding bikes sold online – so if you have a hard time finding the best folding bike – look here on our fold-up bike review list.
We hope that this article was helpful to you in order to buy the best folding bike. It will now be possible for all our readers to surely decide which folding bike they should purchase. As there are so many folding bikes available currently in the market, our list will help you all out to choose the best suitable ones among them.
Make sure to go through each and every folding bike that we did mention on the list. Do not forget to let us know in the comments which folding bike you are going to purchase from our list.